Monday, January 26, 2015

Poems: For Svend

Ever had a teacher assign poems as assignments? I had a teacher who had us write different poems on a weekly basis. One week, we had to write a poem about our father. I was nine years old and adored my father, so I liked the idea, but poems came hard to me then. It took the better part of the week to write the following poem. I got an A and my dad still has a copy of the poem in his truck. It's not the best poem ever, but for a nine-year-old writing a poem for her dad, it was pretty good.

There was a man large as the sky,
Who always lit up Mother's eyes.
He had a son and three daughters,
Who were always proud to call him Father.
 
We'd hurry home from school each day,
Just so we could run and play.
All we wanted was to be with him,
And bask in his light ... it never dimmed.
 
He did not whine or even complain,
But ran with us through the rain.
He always dried our childish tears,
And chased away all of our fears.
 
He raised us to be kind and bright,
And always stand up for what was right.
As we grew he became a friend,
And always loved us without end.