Monday, January 12, 2015

Poems: Crossroads

Most of my poems have some story behind them. Some were written to celebrate, some to grieve, and some just because I saw something funny. None of that applies to this particular poem. "Crossroads" came about when I was in the middle of writing a novel. It was my way of illustrating the indecision of one of the characters in the book. It had nothing to do with anything "real" unless you consider the characters bickering in my head to be real...

Should I turn around, give up, start again?
Or should I go over the wall, face their disdain?
There are terrible choices that I must make,
But right or wrong ... it's a chance I must take.
 
Be when those choices are made for others,
Be they children, sisters, or even brothers,
I ask myself if the decision is right,
And stay up thinking through this sleepless night.
 
I search for answers, hope for a voice,
To guide me now, to make my choice.
I cannot see what might be planned,
It all slips away, just like the sand.
 
There are only two options, oh what shall I do?
I'm at the crossroads ... which way is true?
If I choose right, there's peace of mind.
But if I don't, what shall I find?