Monday, January 19, 2015

Poems: By Your Side

There was a really serious reason I wrote this poem, I know there was, but a decade later I simply cannot remember what it was. Maybe it will come to me tomorrow...


Strong for you, I had to be.
For only you believed in me.
I knew one day that I would leave.
But how could it have been this eve?
 
I know that I will always be,
Held in your heart so perfectly.
You stood by my bed every day.
Though we knew it would end this way.
 
I know I asked you to keep your distance,
But really I needed your assistance.
Alone I would have pined and cried.
And wasted away before I died.
 
But you stayed ... what can I say?
I'm thankful you were here today.
If not for you I would have been alone,
Made of nothing but skin and bone.
 
And now I'm gone, but still around.
Listen close ... you'll hear my sounds.
In your heart is where I reside.
Always know I'll be by your side.