Monday, October 28, 2013

Flash Fiction: Cold Winter Rain

I know it's only October, but where I'm from we've already had frost, snow, hail, and sleet. It's downright cold. Flash fiction is one of the ways I deal with the weather, so my first story of the season deals with the cold rain we so recently had. For reasons passing understanding, I've decided to write in first person. Oh, well.

Cold Winter Rain

I usually love winter, but today it's cold and raining. That means freezing rain, slick roads, and idiot drivers. Why is everyone driving like it’s a bright summer day? You can’t drive like that during a winter rain.

I try to dismiss the other drivers from my thoughts and concentrate on the road. As I pull out onto the highway, my car slips. I’ve got snow tires and I’m not going very fast, but still I slide. It’s no better than a skating rink out here, and I’m usually not stupid enough to drive on a skating rink. Today, however, I have no choice. I have to pick up my daughter and her newborn baby from the hospital.

As I’m thinking about my new grandson, I hit a patch of ice. Caught unaware, I jerk the wheel to the right and skid toward the shoulder. Then I made a rookie mistake. I slam on the brakes. The car starts to spin and I utter a curse as I fight the car for control. I’m losing and I know it, so I say a quick prayer and release the wheel.

The car spins wildly before coming to a sudden stop. My head rocks forward. Something hits me square in the face and drives my head back into the headrest. I see stars and gasp for breath, wondering where I am. Oh. On the road, driving like an idiot.

A disembodied voice floats through the air and I realize it’s been speaking for several minutes.

“What?” I mutter, pushing the airbag out of my way.

“Ma’am, we’ve detected an airbag deployment. Do you need assistance?”

I shake my head, realize he can’t see me, and snap, “No, I need a new brain.”

“Do you require assistance?”

Now that’s the real question. My head hurts a little, but that’s from the airbag. Finally I reply, “No. I’ll just call my husband to pick me up.”

"Are you sure, Ma'am? I can have an ambulance sent to your location."

"No, I'm fine. All in one piece."

“Okay, Ma’am. Take care.”

I dig my phone out of my purse and dial. My daughter and her son will just have to wait while I get my husband out of work. Hopefully, he won’t laugh at me. Of course, I laughed at him last year...