Monday, January 14, 2013

Poems: The Voice

I'm a poet at heart, though I make my living writing books. Some of the poems I write are funny, others are tragic, but they all come from the heart. So here's one of my favourite poems, this one about a dark time in my life.


Listen, can you hear it?
Or is it only in my dreams?
I close my mind to shut it out,
Yet still somehow it seems,
There is a dark wind calling,
Singing wild and free,
Caressing all my skin,
Crying out to me.
“Come,” it sings so gently,
“Leave all your cares behind.
Follow with each step I take,
And true peace you will find.”

I doubt and still I follow,
Knowing not where this road leads,
Yet praying it holds the answer,
To all my darkest needs.
And there at last he’s waiting,
His eyes older than my years.
They touch my own so tenderly,
And banish all my fears.
I know I have the choice then,
And yet how can I dare,
To move into the darkness,
And seek an end right there?