Monday, November 26, 2012

Happy Accidents When Writing a Novel

Accidents happen. And sometimes these are happy accidents. This is true of everything in life from finding a job to driving a car to writing a novel. What are happy accidents for a novelist? Well, they can be a lot of things. Perhaps that character in Chapter Three whose only purpose was to bring drinks to the table can suddenly play a significant role in Chapter Seventeen. Or you randomly explained how that serial killer escaped police custody and find out that it's actually a major plot point later on. There are lots of little accidents that happen when we're writing, even if we like to plot out each and every little detail.

This week I ran into a happy accident of my own while writing my current story. Weeks ago, when I had just started on my current novel, I was writing Chapter One (because I was at the beginning, of course). I had a couple of random characters in that chapter whose only purpose was to allow the protagonist to have a conversation with someone of no significance. Having conversations with someone who doesn't matter is what this particular character does, and he does it frequently.

Well, this week I was working on Chapter Twenty-Four. I'm basically halfway though this first draft. And suddenly the characters from the first chapter made a reappearance. They became useful in a way I'd never anticipated. I'd certainly never planned on ever using them again. But they just fit the situation and I didn't have to do much to establish them as characters because they had already been introduced. Okay, so I have to go back and tweek Chapter One just a little (by about ten words). No problem.

The point is that happy accidents result in some of the best parts of a book. No matter how much we plan out a story, it will inevitably surprise us. And this is the best part of writing a novel.